Mug Cake Monday again!
Today we have a high protein, 5-minute cinnamon bun mug cake.
Just like last week’s mug cake, this baby can be made in the microwave in just over a minute and they are a great pre workout meal. (If you missed last weeks, we had a double chocolate peanut butter one you can go check out here.)
I am a big advocate for fueling your workout. Optimally, 1-2 hours before your workout you should have a meal that consists of carbs and protein. In most cases 25-50 grams of carbs, 15-30 grams of protein and less then 10 grams of fat. This mug cake fits the bill. Plus, it is freaking delicious.
This mug cake has 14 grams of protein, for those who need more pre workout, a scrambled egg white or a glass of skim milk is a perfect accompaniment.
By supplying your body with fuel before your workout, you are more likely to work out harder and in turn get a better workout, than if you were to do it fasted. Multiple studies have shown there is no great benefit to fasted training. 
Again, I used Kodiak Cakes power cake mix since it is higher in protein. You can use any pancakes mix that you want, just know it will alter the nutritional breakdown. I have even made these with Enjoy Life’s allergy free pancake mix and they came out great.
5 min Cinnamon Bun Mug Cake
½ cup Kodiak power cake mix
1 tsp coconut sugar (any sweetener of choice will work here)
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp melted coconut oil
¼ cup cashew milk (and dairy like beverage would work)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
- Generously spray the insides of a large microwave safe mug with cooking spray.
- Mix in pancake mix, 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, and salt.
- In separate microwave safe cup mix milk, oil and vanilla. Heat in microwave till coconut is melted.
- Add the liquids with dry ingredients. Gently mix till just combined, making sure in mix in all the dry power off the bottom of the mug but do over stir!
- Top with additional cinnamon and sugar and cut in with a knife.
- Microwave at 75% power for 90 seconds.
- Let stand for 1 min, then enjoy!
Nutrition for one mug cake: 275 calories 41 carbs 8 fat and 14 protein
Paoli A1, M. G. (2011). Exercising fasting or fed to enhance fat loss? Influence of food intake on respiratory ratio and excess postexercise oxygen consumption after a bout of endurance training. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 48-54.
Schoenfeld B., A. A. (2014). Body composition changes associated with fasted versus non-fasted aerobic exercise. J Int Soc Sports Nutr, 54.