For the next few Mondays, I will be sharing different high protein mug cake recipes, because sometimes Mondays just need some cake!
Mug cakes are just that, a cake made in a large coffee mug!
To keep the protein high in these I use Kodiak Powercakes Mix, it has 14 grams of protein per serving and can be found at major grocery stores (including Costco, Target and Amazon).
You can use any pancake mix you want (including gluten free. I have even made these with Enjoy Life’s pancake mix). Just know different mixes will change the nutrition.
Now for that cake…
5 min Double Chocolate Mug Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup Kodiak Cake Power Mix
- 1 Tb Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (any sweetener of choice will work here)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk (can use any unsweetened milk)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2 TB mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tb PB2 (defatted dried peanut butter)
- 1.5 Tb water
- Spray an extra-large microwave safe mug liberally with cooking spray.
- In mug, mix Kodiak Cake mix, Cocoa, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate dish warm the cashew milk and coconut oil in the microwave (the oil should be melted but not boiling)
- Add the vanilla to the warm milk. Stir.
- Gently pour the liquids into the mug and stir gently. Mix till just combined (Do not over stir, or it will be tough.)
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Microwave at 75% power for 90 seconds. Let stand in the microwave for 1 min.
- While that nukes, mix the PB2 and water. Use as much water as you need to make a frosting like consistency.
- Gently side a knife around the edges of the cake and dump it on to a plate
- Frost with peanut butter frosting
- EAT CAKE!
Nutrition for the whole dang thing:
335 calories, 48 grams carbs, 9 grams fat, 20 grams protein