Easy like Sunday morning low carb low-fat frittata
Before we get going, I have to get something out of the way.
Carbs are not bad.
Fats are not bad either.
There are no bad foods.
(Go ahead and reread those. I’ll wait. It’s important)
Now, this recipe is low in both carbs and fat not because you should avoid them but so it customizable for any meal plan.
Need more carbs with your breakfast? Pair with a side of fruit or sprouted grain toast.
Need more fat with your brekkie? Then have some avocado with it. Or even a slice of bacon.
Now that we got that out of the way let’s get to it.
Easy like a Sunday Morning Frittata
- 3 oz, Canadian Bacon, diced
- 25 cup, shredded cheddar cheese (use fat-free or low fat if YOU want to keep the dish lower in fat)
- 4 oz, Tomatoes chopped ( I like to use cherry)
- 2 Cup Zucchini grated
- 24 ounces, Egg White (if you wish to add whole eggs, remove 2 oz of whites for every whole egg)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn
Preheat oven to 350.
- Grate the zucchini. I like to use the grater attachment on the food processor, but a box grater will also work. Once grated place in a strainer and toss with 1 tsp kosher salt. Set aside while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a paper towel run the inside of cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. When hot add diced Canadian Bacon.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites.
- Using a paper towel or a tea towel, squeeze out all the excess water from the grated zucchini.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini to skillet.
- Allow veggies to cook for about 3 mins.
- Pour whites in the skillet.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. It is down when the middle is fully set.
- Remove from oven, let cool for at least 5 min and top with torn basil.
- Eat and enjoy!
Nutrition info for ¼ the skillet: 145 calories gram fat, 4 grams carbs and 26 grams protein