I don’t know about where you are, but it is FINALLY cold here in North Texas. Like cold enough it is snowing! Ok they are just flurries. (I will always be a Midwesterner at heart). Cold weather means soup time. This Chicken Tortilla soup one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. Mainly for the fact it only takes 20 minutes while still being healthy and satisfying.
There are two time saving short cuts in this recipe. The first is, instead of baking up chicken to use, just grab a rotisserie from your local grocery store. I liked to drain off all the extra fat when I get home and remove the skin. If it’s cool enough, I remove all the meat. For this recipe all you need is the breast meat (skin removed) so save the extra meat from the thigh, legs and wings for adding into salads.
The second time saver is using the blender instead of having it simmer all day long. Throwing it in the blender or using an immersion blender will give a a great texture without having to cook it for a long period of time. Please note, if using a blender do not place the clear plastic filler cup on the lid. Leave the middle hole open. When you blend it, place a tea towel over the hole to let the steam escape.
Instead of using tortilla chips for the topping, we are baking our own using fresh tortillas. Don’t worry it only takes 10 minutes and they are lower in fat and tastier too! I am big fan of baking up my own tortilla chips, that way I don’t have a big open bag laying around tempting me. I just bake as many as needed.
Quick and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup Corn Meal
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp, chili powder.
- 1 tsp, Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ garlic powder
- 1 avocado
- green onions
- 8 tortillas, Tortillas
- Chicken breast from rotisserie chicken, skin removed. (approx. 12 oz)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut corn tortillas into ½ inch strips. Light spritz with cooking spray and salt. Cook for 10 minutes till crispy but not burnt.
- In a large pot heat oil. Cook onion, green bell and carrots till starting to soften. About 8 minutes.
- Dump in diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a bowl.
- Add in the corn meal and approx. ¼ of the crunchy corn tortillas.
- Add in salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic powder.
- Carefully pour entire soup pot into a blender or use an immersion blender. Blend till smooth. **If using a blender, when placing the top in the blender do not insert the plastic fill cup. Leave the hole open in the lid and hold a tea towel over the lid. This is very important; it allows the steam to escape. Otherwise it will blow up on you and you will have a steamy hot mess! **
- Shred chicken breasts.
- Return to soup pot and add in chicken and frozen corn. Reheat till warm. And top individual bowls with diced avocado, crunchy tortilla strips, green onion and cilantro.
Makes approximately 6 servings. Each serving is about 1 ½ cups and has: 278 calories, 9 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbohydrates and 22 grams protein.